My Favorite Sports Movies: Basketball

These movies are listed in no particular order, but reflect my favorite sports movies focusing on this particular sport. Here we go...

Space Jam

Now I wouldn't be a true North Carolinian, let alone a Wilmingtonian if I made this list and left out the infallible classic that is Space Jam! I've got a MonStars jersey hanging in my closet right now. I'm well aware that there's a second one in the works with Lebron James, but honestly I couldn't care less. This movie just has so many gems, one of the main ones being Michael Jordan's attempt at acting. It really isn't his fault, He's a 910 boy after all, but it's still hilarious to watch. And you can't forget that there's OTHER NBA players trying to act as well. Charles Barkley was just a treasure...

Coach Carter


Now this movie isn't actually a comedy but it does make me laugh. If it weren't based on a true story, if it had just been concocted by some studio executives, I'm not sure I'd buy it. Like c'mon, all this coach does is require his players to make AVERAGE grades (not good or great, but AVERAGE) and wear a tie on game days and the entire city lost their ever-loving minds. To the point of violence!! All for some bare minimum requirements that would help their once garbage players be able to make something of themselves when they left high school. I also didn't have a good grasp on all them pushups and suicides he made Timo do until I started playing sports myself and SHEESH...I probably would've just not came back.

Like Mike


This one has been there for me for as long as I can remember. We kept the red DVD case in the same place in the stack of movies in our living room when I was a kid. Even when I started playing basketball myself when I was about 7 or 8 years old, I would bend down to lace up my little Jordan's and whisper, "Make me like Mike." I'd watch this one with my sisters and cousins all the time, once we even tied up my dad like they taped up the evil group home owner. We got in trouble later, but it was worth it. Fun fact, sometime in middle school I noticed that one of the Knights dancers was one of my elementary school teachers. Go figure, right?

Love & Basketball

Okay now look...in recent years, I have come to realize that Monica and Quincy's relationship was kinda garbage and toxic and set a horrible example by her begging him to come back even though HE was the one who was truly at fault. Seriously, when they got to college and Monica was struggling while Q was king of the world, was she out here glooming and brooding around? No! She got back in that gym and put that work in! Then as soon as the script flipped, he wanted to get all butthurt about him not playing well and his dad cheating on his mom (which is a hard thing to go through, I'm sure). Monica was always supporting him but he wanted to be childish and even though she should've dropped him like a hot potsticker and kept doing her thing overseas, she just HAD to have him back.
*eyeroll*
Now I know that it sounds like I'm talking smack...I still will flip to this movie FAITHFULLY whenever it's on TV. They suck but they're still so great.
"You...made...a fool of me..."
Yeah its cute to watch and sing along with, but that won't ever be me.



Comments

Popular Posts