My Favorite Sports Movies: Honorable Mentions

Here is a short list of great sports movies that fall into my honorable mention category. Here we go...

The Miracle Season


I found this one on Hulu a little over a year ago and WHEW, it was an emotional one. I can say I've come across many volleyball-centered movies so it intrigued me enough to watch the trailer. It's about a high school reigning championship volleyball team whose captain and star-setter Caroline Found, dies in a moped accident at the beginning of the next season, where they were looking to become the first back-to-back state champs. The team loses and forfeits a slew of games before rallying themselves back in the hunt and making it back to the state championships. It definitely has some heavy moments but its a good heartwarming one that is definitely worth the watch.


Crooked Arrows


I played lacrosse all throughout middle and high school and it was pretty much my entire life. So naturally, I'm always jumping at the chance to watch lacrosse-centered movies. If I'm being honest, the acting isn't A1 and neither is the writing...and the actor playing the main character is a white man playing a half Native-American man sooooo yeah, there's that. But still, the movie focuses on lacrosse's Native-American origins so that's a certain bonus.

Miracle


I don't really watch hockey either but this is another great one. Based on the 1980 US Olympic hockey team and their defeat of the juggernaut Soviet team, this movie is one that's definitely got some replay value to it. I found it super intriguing that the Olympic team used to solely consist of college athletes, as opposed to professional ones from the NHL. The median age of this US team was only 20/21 years-old, which makes their "Miracle on Ice" that much more miraculous. Besides, who doesn't love an underdog? 



Comments

Popular Posts