Tyson vs. Jones Jr.: Was it worth it??

 

What was originally set to be a slugfest of champions turned out to be 25 minutes of mostly hugging. 

Now I'm hardly a boxing aficionado. Honestly, I know pretty much nothing about the sport. Seriously, I stumble upon some KO highlights every now and then and I might watch some old Ali clips but that's pretty much it.

Oh yeah, I can't forget about my affinity for Rocky movies as well the Creed spin-offs.

But yeah, the Tyson/Jones Jr. fight didn't really give me anything noteworthy to comment on. Besides the fact that it reminded me of two faded uncles getting into it at the family reunion cookout. Not that I really expected to be impressed by a 54 and 51 year-old man in a ring together. But still, being the great Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr., I was kinda hoping for one good slugger knock-out punch.

It definitely seemed like Tyson was in control of the fight. He was steady, poised and deliberate through each of the 8 rounds. Not that Jones Jr. wasn't, though I will say that as he made his entrance into the arena, my dad said "he looks like he just came off the toilet."
Honestly, I couldn't disagree. 
Jones Jr. looked tired pretty early on in the fight. Honestly, most of the fight consisted of my family and I making jokes about how winded and tired they both looked.

Unsurprisingly, the match ended in an unceremonious draw. I believe there was also some kind of charity aspect to it, which would definitely provide an explanation for the draw. Regardless, the match may have been more enjoyable for more hardcore boxing fans. Certainly with the undeniable element of nostalgia attached to it. However for me, it was pretty much just watching two old guys fight.

Comments

Popular Posts